Friday, December 26, 2008

Day "39"

Well, we are back. Ever since I brought Jeff "home," I have been worried that I wouldn't know when to take him in if there was a problem. However, today I knew it was time. He continued to pass a lot of blood all day yesterday and again through the night. Then, when I went to check on him this morning, he was taking small short breaths. I couldn't get him up and moving because he was so exhausted. So, when I saw a break in the weather, I drug him out of bed, loaded the kids in the car, put the chains on my front tires, and headed for the hospital. Upon arriving, Dr. Tsai and Latha quickly checked him out, and decided that the cavity between his lung and chest on the right side must be over half way full. A chest xray confirmed that, so a doctor came in to do a thoracentesis--they stuck a catheter into his chest cavity and drained the fluid. The bag Jeff is holding is that fluid. Over 2000 mL's...and there was still more. The doctor said that was all he would take out at this time to avoid other problems. Luckily he didn't think there was any sign of infection. They are keeping him over night to watch the bleeding. He received two bags of blood and three bags of platelets. They believe that the platelets will help the bladder problem. They believe he will get to go back to Park City tomorrow. At least we had him home for Christmas Day...that is all that matters!

3 comments:

Hopie said...

When we had our son, he was critically ill. One of my friends gave me some really good advice. She told me to NEVER ignore the promptings of the Holy Ghost, EVER!!!! She told me that I would never regret it. That piece of advice, as simple as it is, has saved my son's life 3 times in 7 years. Now I'm giving it to you. You know Jeff better than anyone else. Good job listening to and acting on the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Hang in there.

Lyns said...

I'm glad that you have the spirit with you to know what you need to do! I'm sure your little family is stressed beyond measure, but we've all been praying that you will be comforted and Jeff will heal! Great Christmas pics. I really believe that you have the worst behind you and things will get better and better! Good luck and keep us posted. We love you guys!

suzy said...

Yuck--I am sure breathing is a lot easier now! We are all behind you!