Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day "59"

I have had quite a few emails, phone calls, and cards lately asking about Jeff, and wondering how I am "really" doing! In fact, last week the BMT social worker basically told me I looked terrible and asked me what I was doing to take care of myself. The next day, after "exercising," I went up to the condo in Park City and brought ALL of my scrapbooking stuff back to the hospital! Yes, it takes up one side of the room, but it sure keeps my hands busy and I have a better attitude because of it. Plus, I took the afternoon off today! I left around 3 p.m. stopped at my Grandma's house, went to dinner with my parents, got my hair cut, stopped at my brothers house, picked up my car which my dad just got back from the mechanic (it had a leak in the gas intake valve that was putting off fumes in my car), and went to a scrapbooking store in Nephi. It was while I was in the scrapbook store that I found my new motto on the wall: Scrapbooking is Cheaper than Therapy! So that is just what I will continue to do to keep myself out of the loony bin! Really though, I am holding up quite well! I try to leave Jeff's hospital room each day to take a breather. Sometimes it is for 3 or 4 hours, and sometimes it is 20 minutes, but I leave each day. I miss my children more than anything right now, but I appreciate the fact that I am not trying to juggle being a mother and a caretaker at the same time. Plus, Jeff truly makes me feel appreciated EVERY day (it is a dang good thing he got married before this all came to pass)! So "really," I am doing okay! :) As for Jeff, he felt like he had less clots today, and he still hasn't had a blood or platelet transfusion lately. That is DEFINITELY progress!

5 comments:

Ray Cox said...

Jeff, I have always loved you like a little brother, and I hope right now, that your mind is "Morphine Free" because i'm going to let you in on the most important lesson that I've learned in my 37 years on this earth. The phrase, "Scrapbooking is Cheaper than Therapy," is the biggest lie in Western Civilization.

If it weren't for the "theraputic benefits" of scrapbooking, I could own a Ferrari and a Bentley in every color under the rainbow, but instead I've got scissors of every shape, and stickers for every situation imaginable.

Beware little brother, Beware!

Jackie said...

Kathryn, I'm glad you've let us in on how you're surviving the monotony (for both Jeff and yourself). I'm glad you're getting out. Do what you need to to stay sane and happy!

janece said...

Ray Cox makes me laugh...but it is so true..definitely not CHEAPER but it does keep you from hurting people. Keep up the good attitude, the good work, the cute scrapbook pages and know we continually pray for you.

Aleisha said...

I love scrapbooking!!! That is good that you can find something to keep you entertained. I love Ray's comment because I can just picture him saying that. ha ha ha I am glad Jeff is making progress. Jeff is lucky to have an amazing woman like you by his side. I can't wait till you are back and can have dinner with the girls again.

Hopie said...

You can chalk one up for priesthood blessings for the reason you're able to handle this. From being in similar hard times (not so much cancer, but a critically ill newborn) and looking back, there is no doubt that's what carried me though. I know He is there to help you. Don't ever be afraid to ask any of those amazing Andrus boys for a blessing. It will continue to help you!!! Send my love to Jeff.