Sunday, January 4, 2009

Day "47"

Today was a bitter yet sweet day. Two nights ago, Jeff's father traveled up to Park City to tell him that his Uncle Blaine had passed away and his funeral was today. Uncle Blaine was only 55 years old, and no one had expected it. Jeff was overwhelmed with memories from his childhood of Uncle Blaine...most of them dealing with the deer hunt. He was determined to at least attend the viewing today. After a long night, it was hard to get Jeff up and going...so it was very apparent that we would not make the viewing. So, he decided to attend the funeral. As we drove up to the chapel, all of Jeff's brothers were waiting to help him. When we walked through the doors, we found that Aunt Lynette had been waiting for Jeff before they had the family prayer and closed the casket. It meant so much to Jeff AND his father. We stayed for the funeral ...sat at the back, mask on face, and hands in his pockets... and we were able to sneak out during the closing song. The funeral was a great tribute to Blaine's life, he was an amazing man. It was good for Jeff to get dressed up and go somewhere. It doesn't happen very often.

7 comments:

HandS said...

My heart and prayers are with you.. I'm laurie's Aunt Sally.
Hang in there.. Blessings are on their way to you...

Amy Roper said...

Kathryn-
I have been reading your blog ever since you started it. I am Annie's sister, Amy. Annie sent me the link and I enjoy reading it each day. You are such a trooper! I admire your strength during this trial in your life.

Reading this post, I just have to tell you . . . Jeff's uncle Blaine, I read about him in the newspaper and was shocked as well. I taught Burke many years ago in 4th grade and am currently the teacher of Felicity (Mindy's and Brant's daughter). I also know Amberlee and Clint! Such a small world! Clint and my husband are in the same National Guard Unit and they are in our Stake, too! That was great that Jeff could attend the funeral!

I look forward to your entries each day. I admire your strength and courage, too! Best wishes and blessings to you, Jeff and your family! Happy New Year!

Take care-
Amy Mangelson Roper

wenwin said...

We were so sorry to hear about your Dad's brother passing, but were glad you were able to attend the funeral.

Hang in there Jeff. We love you and can't wait until you are back home and healthy. Rich is ready for a little "wrastle" and some good old teasing!

Love,
Wendy and Rich

suzy said...

Jeff looks so great dressed up! The kids look so happy to be with him again. We love to see the progress.

{dawn} said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, may you be comforted with the spirit, in all your daily trials. Your family is so beautiful!

Jackie said...

Sam said it was good to see you up and about (even if it was at Uncle Blaine's funeral). I don't always comment, but I read your blog everyday and report to Sam about your progress, Jeff. We love you guys and hope you can have more, and better, dress-up days soon!

Aleisha said...

I am so sorry about your uncle!! I am so glad you ALL got to attend the funeral. That is a blessing.