Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day "50"...the HALF WAY MARK!

Today we are 50 days post transplant, which means we are half way through our Northern Utah "Winter Holiday!" We decided to celebrate this occasion by heading back the the BMT Unit for another (hopefully short) hospital stay! :( Last night, Jeff passed a huge amount of blood, and almost passed out a couple of times. So, as we discussed the bleeding issues with some of the doctors today at clinic, and showed them a picture I took of one of the clots (which I will refrain from posting) they decided to readmit him to the unit and try a different treatment. It will consist of pumping a certain medication (can't remember the name) into his bladder through a catheter, clamping it off for two hours, and then irrigating the bladder for four hours. This will be repeated over and over again until his urine is fairly clear for 48 hours! It was a BMT Doctors' idea. The urologist had never done it before, but he was willing to try. In one study, it completely healed the bladder of 50% of the patients. Wish Jeff luck!

9 comments:

Lyns said...

Good Luck you guys! I really hope this works! We're keeping you in our prayers!

Andrus Family said...

Well, I heard the news late last night that you were back at the hospital...I sorry to hear that, but I think it's a good idea...having to go through that at home is not the best idea! I hope the procedure works so Jeff can head back with less pain and get back on the road to recovery! Love you guys!

Danielle and Elijah said...

Good Luck Jeff! Sorry to hear the news. Well love you and you guys are always in our thoughts and prayers!

Ray Cox said...

Jeff,

You are a stud my friend. I miss having you and your beautiful family in St George. Church isn't as fun without your dad's personality there.

I played basketball last night at Dixie HS, and I thought about you. (I can only imagine your dominating HS career) Remember, you've got about 9 months until we play, so take care of yourself, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Andrus crew.

Lisa Woodland said...

Dan says he thinks your BMT doctors are much smarter than the urologists so he thinks it will work. He shouldn't get the big bucks. :) Good Luck we are all praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Jeff--- I miss your jokes and laugh here at SRIS. You are in my prayers. As I sit under your BYU Banner in our counseling office....I wish I could really hear you say "GO UTES" I am still unsure about you being a UTE FAN!

Lainee said...

Good Luck Jeff! We really hope it works! We are thinking and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

ok i feel bad but tell him good luck for me thanks

Christan said...

Hello! I am Kenny Smith's wife, Christan. Hope you don't mind us checking in on you every few days. I have been trying to keep Kenny updated on your progress. We are thinking of you and hope all keeps going well. We will keep you in our prayers!