Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day "-1"

JOEL MADE IT BACK FROM HAWAII...that is the best news we have had today! Since he did not manage to get stung by a stingray or contract any crazy diseases while on vacation, the transplant is on for tomorrow! This is a picture of Joel's tatoo he got in Hawaii. He wanted to make sure the surgeon cut open the correct side...the back side and not the front side!:) I am not sure of the schedule for it all, but I know it will be a huge day for all involved! I guess Joel has to check in at 6a.m. Check the blog for a "NEW BIRTHDAY" (Day "0"--Transplant day) post!
Today has been an extremely hard day for my husband. Around four this morning, he woke up with excruciating pain in his abdomen. As it turns out, the mesna (a medication that is supposed to bind the chemo before it reaches the bladder to prevent the bladder lining from being injured) did not do its job. Therefore, the doctor believes the chemo reached the bladder and caused the inner lining to slough off and cause lots of bleeding. Since his platelets are so low, his body is having trouble clotting the blood. The doctor said he would be in pain and experience bleeding for the next couple of days. So, Jeff is receiving morphine shots every two to three hours to keep the pain under control, plus he has been transfused with three bags of platelets.
As I was typing this post, I watched a life flight helicopter land on the top of Primary Children's Medical Center. The smallest of beds was taken from inside and wheeled into the elevator. I had a feeling of overwhelming gratitude for my little ones! They have been watched over and protected. The only thing I can think of that would be worse than seeing Jeff go through this process would be helping one of them through something like this! Thanks again for everything each one of you have given to us! Take Care! GOOD LUCK TOMORROW JOEL!

5 comments:

matesen said...

Hey Kathryn! This is Mariah Guillory, remember me? I found your blog and just wanted to say hello. I work as a nurse at the LDS BMT unit and I am sorry that you are having to go through this. Good luck tomorrow to you and Jeff! I will keep you in my prayers!

Jeff and Kathryn said...

Mariah...It was good to hear from you! Of course I remember you! Could you email me.. jeffkatandrus@gmail.com I have some questions about your BMT unit at LDS hospital! You know what we are going through, don't you? Take Care! Kathryn

Lainee said...

Hi, this is Gavin Frei I ran on to your blog thru Jackie Andrus and I was shocked to see her post about Jeff. I had not heard anything was wrong with Jeff. What exactly is wrong with him? It doesn't sound good! Please tell Jeff hi for me and I will keep him in our prayers. Thanks Gavin

Grizz said...

Good Luck we love you I sent and e-mail as well

Lyns said...

There is nothing worse than seeing any part of your family go through something like this. I can only imagine. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!